Oakland: Brooklyn Basin - Shoreline Park Moving Toward Final Approvals

 Rendering: Zarison/Signature Development
As we're all eagerly awaiting for vertical construction to ramp up at the Brooklyn Basin site, details for one of the project's signature public open spaces are starting to solidify. Known as Shoreline Park, the new 10 acre park will rise on the eastern edge of the development on what is currently the 9th Avenue Shipping Terminal. Though the building is considered historic, 90% of the old (and very large) shipping terminal will be demolished to make room for the new park. The remaining 10% will be preserved and integrated into the park as a retail and restaurant hub.

The primary attraction of this new open space was initially envisioned to be a large lawn but because of the drought and the fact that the park will be on top of a pier, the lawn has been largely replaced by wooden decking. The greenery will be mostly in the form of trees and planters. Shoreline Park is envisioned as more of an urban place where events will be held as opposed to a traditional park with large grassy areas. If you're disappointed that there isn't more greenery and softscape, future Brooklyn Basin parks are slated to include more natural and green elements.

Besides the new open space, the park will also include a dedicated walking and biking path that will be part of the regional Bay Trail system. Though the park still needs final approvals, the current construction schedule calls for a mid-2017 opening which is also when the first phase of Brooklyn Basin is supposed to open. It will be nice to see this formerly industrial waterfront site repurposed as a public gathering space.

Overview of all the open space planned for Brooklyn Basin. Rendering: Zarison/Signature Development
Overview of Shoreline Park. Rendering: Zarison/Signature Development
9th Street Terminal. Rendering: Zarison/Signature Development
9th Street Terminal. Rendering: Zarison/Signature Development

9th Street Terminal. Rendering: Zarison/Signature Development
9th Street Terminal. Rendering: Zarison/Signature Development
Previous
Next Post »